Man'oushe Gluten Free, Grain-free Easy Recipe
Manoushe with za'atar is my favorite Lebanese breakfast! I was inspired to make this from gluten-free and grain free flours for my clients who are sensitive to gluten and grains. Za'atar is high in antioxidants and can help fight inflammation and boost cognitive function! The recipe is fairly easy but the technique of creating the dough is important. Ingredients for 1 12 inch pie dough:
1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Cassava flour or tapioca flour
2/3 cup Bob's Red Mill Almond flour
5 TBSP Coconut Flour (leave 2 TBSP on the side)
1/2 tsp grated pecorino romano cheese (you can use any grated cheese)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp Za'atar
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup Avocado oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 egg whisked at room temperature
Extra tapioca flour for flouring surface
Ingredients for topping:
1/4 cup Za'atar
1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450 F. In large bowl, mix Cassava, paleo baking flour, almond flour, 3 tbsp coconut flour, grated cheese, garlic powder, salt, 1 tsp za'atar well until blended.
2. Mix water, oil and vinegar together well with a fork before pouring into the flour mixture.
3. Mix well until forms a dough. Then add in the whisked egg.
4. Mix again thoroughly, then add 1 tbsp of the 2 TBSP of coconut flour at a time. Mix well until adding the next TBSP. Then, add in the collagen.
5. It helps to use your hands to make the dough well stick together in a nice big ball.
6. Lay parchment paper on a baking sheet. Dust some cassava or tapioca flour on top of the paper.
7. Transfer dough to sheet and use a roller or your hands to flatten while making into a 12-inch circle.
8. Mix olive oil and 1/4 cup za'atar in a small bowl. Once mixed well, brush on the dough.
9. Bake for about 10-15 minutes. Dough may get golden.
10. Enjoy with Lebneh (yogurt)!