Healthy No Sugar Added Low Carb Lemon Cake with Lemon Frosting and Strawberry Topping
I used Monk fruit sugar to conserve on sugar and carbs. Each slice is 80 calories, 5 grams fat, 4 grams net carbs and less than 1 gram of sugar! It is the perfect summer treat- refreshing, tart, sweet and moist! Enjoy for dessert or with a cup of coffee in the morning!
Ingredients for Cake
3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill paleo baking flour
1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill cassava flour
1/2 cup Lakanto monk fruit sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp zest of lemon
2 tbsp lemon juice squeezed (option to also zest it and add on the cake at the end!)
1 1/2 tbsp softened butter (Do not melt- just take out of the refrigerator and let soften at room temperature before starting baking process)
Ingredients for Frosting
1 tsp lemon zest
1/4 cup + 2 TBSP cream cheese - I used Kite Hill Dairy Free
1/2 cup Lakanto Monk Fruit Sugar
3 TBSP lemon juice
Directions for Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Take butter out of the refrigerator to help soften.
2. In a bowl, whisk the eggs. Then add in the flour, lemon zest, monk fruit sugar, baking powder, lemon juice, and butter.
3. Mix everything together well. Then grease a round cake pan and add the batter.
4. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. It should look golden.
5. Let cool a few minutes before removing from the pan and let cool on a baking rack for 10 minutes before applying the frosting.
Directions for Frosting:
1.Mix on a cuisinart food processor or something similar until smooth like texture. See video to the left.
2. The texture should look like it does in the video below.
Directions for Frosting the Cake:
Use a spatula to to spread the icing on the cake. It will drip over a bit which will look cool!
Adorn the cake with some sliced strawberry and lemon zest!