Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread
Let's face it - these COVID days have us baking more, so we do need to make the ingredients healthier than the traditional wheat flour and sugar! This recipe uses a combination of cassava flour & coconut flour. Cassava flour is a resistant starch that actually serves as a prebiotic (prebiotics are food for your good gut bacteria AKA probiotics, so this is good for gut health!) It also uses monk fruit extract instead of sugar to save on carbs, sugar and caloric intake.
3/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup cassava flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup Uplift prebiotic fiber (if not- just use coconut flour)
(combine above ingredients in a bowl with a whisk)
3 bananas mashed (Mash in a bowl separately before using)
1/3 cup coconut milk
2 TBSP coconut oil
1/4 cup Lakanto monk fruit sugar ( you may want to add a little more if you aren't using
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease an 8 x 4 loaf pan.
2. Combine flours, baking soda, salt and Uplift Prebiotic fiber (if you're using) with a whisk in a small bowl.
3. In a separate large bowl, blend coconut oil and monk fruit extract together well (as if you were creaming butter with sugar). Then add in egg, mashed banana, coconut milk and vanilla extract well until thick.
4. Add flour mixture and blend together but do not overmix.
5. Fold in the blueberries and pour or spoon into the loaf pan.
6. Cook for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown and can stick a toothpick without residue.
7. Let cool for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.