How to combat a sluggish metabolism
Do you find it hard to lose weight or maintain your ideal weight even though you are eating healthy and exercising? Theres a chance there could be a hormonal imbalance with your thyroid. If you experience any of the below symptoms, I would highly recommend seeing your doctor for a blood test. Make sure they test for TSH, T3 and T4.
Symptoms can vary between individuals but here are some common ones:
-Below normal body temperature under 98 degrees
-Intolerance to cold
-weight gain, or difficulty losing weight with healthy diet
-depression, lack of motivation
-dry hair or hair loss
-changes in menstrual cycle
Here are some natural ways to support the thyroid gland to restore energy, balance and boost the metabolism:
1) Iodine Think sea vegetables like sea weed and wild caught fish. You can also use iodine drops to your water. I really love the Iodine drops by Trace Minerals!
2) Selenium Add grass-fed beef, chicken, eggs, spinach, turkey, cheese, mushrooms, oysters, salmon, shrimp, crab, and brazil nuts.
3) B12 and Thiamine Include foods such as grass-fed beef, raw cheese, eggs, salmon, asparagus, brussel sprouts, spinach, ground flaxseed and cremini mushrooms.
4) Take adaptogens such as Ashwaghanda which supports your adrenal and thyroid gland and will help your body cope with everyday stressors.
5) Probiotics Include a supplement and eat probiotic foods such as yogurt, kefir (dairy or coconut) and fermented foods.
6) Prebiotics will feed your healthy gut bacteria (probiotics) so they can thrive! Eat jerusalem artichokes, leeks, chicory root, bananas, asparagus, wheat bran, seaweed.